Wednesday, November 17, 2010

poems

These are a few poems I put together. The first two have been on the shelf for some time. I am rather new at this.

This first one is to protest religious corruption


THE PREACHER MAN

Preacher man cruises in his brand new car
Tells us he stands for Christ
Sneaks across town to night spots and bars
Then gonna tell us wrong from right
Eyeing the women in the front pew
Thinking of the one's he already knew
As well as the ones he'd like to do
Counting his rosary
Robbing the treasury
says "brimstone and fire
for carnal desire"
and "pass the plate
for Heaven awaits"
While his pockets he fills
by raiding the till
And that Karmic wheel
will never be still


This next one I just sort of dreamed up


THE ACOUSTIC GUITAR

Go'na learn to play the acoustic guitar
Get me some gigs in some local bars
Get on the road to become a star
Then cruise around in a shiny new car
And fire me up a fat cigar
But I doubt if I'll really make it that far


This next one is a re-write of a children's rhyme. It is in protest of elitism and the broad chasm between the rich and the poor


THE ELITIST PIGGY

This elitist piggy played the stock market
This elitist piggy bought a big home
This elitist piggy had lobster tail for breakfast
This elitist piggy vacationed in Rome
This elitist piggy got a freebie in his limo all the way home

A few things stated here may hit a sour cord for some, certainly not all of the wealthy are elitists and not all Christian clergy are corrupt, there are those who try to adhere to the tenets of spiritual teachings, as well as philanthropists who use their wealth and influence to help the disadvantaged, but I feel it is important to bring attention to some critical social issues


TRUMPTY DUMPTY

Trumpty Dumpty wants a big wall
Trumpty Dumpty don't represent all
Increases armed forces
Deceives the working man
Never will Trumpty Dumpty make America great again

This of course is a rewrite of a 'Humpty Dumpty' lampooning Trump about his policies. In capitalizing 'Great Wall' I thought about the Great Wall of China. He represents an elite minority, add to the military when we have ample troops already and cons the working class majority whom he cares nothing about 
I just made a revision and changed "his Great Wall" to "a big wall"


To the tune of 'Jesus Loves Me'

Jesus loves me more than you
You'd best do what I say to
Dissidents of whom he loathe
We are right while they're all wrong
Yes Jesus loves me
Yes Jesus loves me
Yes Jesus loves me
Becau-ause I say so

This is in reference to people who use religion as an instrument of control and the church as a power base. On the second line I chose the more colloquial "you'd best" over "you must" because of certain people who hid behind religion to teach hatred against rural-Americans who use these colloquialisms. On the third line I could have said "heretics of whom he loathe" but being Trump era I went with "dissidents' 


A joke a friend messaged me

Superman, Snow White and Pinocchio were taking a stroll together until they came across a building with a sign saying "Beauty Contest, for the most  beautiful woman in the world." Snow White said "I'll enter it." A half hour later she comes out and said "I won first place."
They continue their stroll until they come across a building with sign saying "Contest for the worlds strongest man." Superman says "I'll enter it." A half hour later he comes out saying "I won first place." 
They continue their stroll until they come across another building with a sign saying "Contest for the world's biggest liar." Pinocchio says "I'll enter it." A half hour later he comes out all teary eyed and they ask "what happened?" He then asks "who the hell is Donald Trump?"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment